Today we will have a look at privacy rules and what they mean for kids. In case you want to understand better what privacy means, I recommend that you watch Episode 2 of Internet Safety for Kids in which we explain Privacy and social media. Today we will focus on the rules about privacy and give you some practical tips to make sure you understand what you should do and what you should not do. It is not too difficult, you just have to keep these tips in mind. Ready?
The first thing you need to understand is that privacy is a universal human right and that means everyone has the right to have privacy. The challenge is that this also means that everyone is responsible to respect the privacy of everyone else. This means that you have to respect the privacy of everyone just as much as everyone has to respect your privacy. And because not everyone does that, many countries have created laws and rules to protect the privacy of people.
• Do not share pictures where others are recognizable without their explicit permission. It is even better to blur out the faces of others to make sure you protect their privacy.
• Do not share personal information about others without their explicit permission. It is even better to not share personal information about others (and yourself) at all.
• Keep in mind that only the permission of adults is valid, so you will need the permission from adults and not from other children.
• When someone asks you to delete a picture or information you shared to protect their privacy, just do that!
• Pay extra attention to protecting the privacy of children.
• The best way to protect the privacy of others and you is to not share personal information at all! That also applies to pictures!